Jake hails from Glenmoore, PA, an area where many other flat track riders are from including: Johnny Lewis, Don Mullen and Kevin Varnes plus engine builder and mentor Roy Miller, a former racer.
Jake started riding trails on a dirtbike when he was 8 years old through the influence of his Dad. He began racing between ages 9 and 10 years old at a track near his hometown. At age 11, he setup his bike for flat track and entered the full District 6 flat track circuit. He started moving up through the ranks and at age 16 got his pro license. In the off season Jake trail rides on tight rocky trails, and in season rides motocross at a nearby track to help stay in shape.
Jake is a unique rider in that he is also a skilled mechanic who can build and work on his own bikes. This skill also came as an influence from his Dad who taught him from a young age how to tear down and rebuild his bikes, including the engines.
Racing Career Highlights
- In 2014 Jake Shoemaker posted a steady rise and solid campaign in GNC1. Jake started the season as a privateer, riding just one bike most of the season and doing the engine work himself. He proved you don’t have to have a huge rig, factory backing or a ton of sponsors to run up front. Finishing out the season in the top ten seven times in AMA Pro racing points, Jake found his way to the podium twice, with contenders Jarod Mees, Jake Johnson, Bryan Smith. He raced in all but two main events and finished the year with three top fives in four races. His best finish was a runner-up showing at the tough 1.25 mile race at Colonial Downs.
- In 2013 Jake started competing in select GNC Expert Twins races and finished 14th in the overall points. Jake also earned the AMA Pro Expert Twins Saddlemen Rookie of the Year award!
- 2012 was a breakout year for Jake on his Honda CRF450R where he finished 2nd overall in the AMA Pro Singles point standings. He recorded 13 top 10 places with his best race placing 3rd at the Cal Expo.
- In 2011 Jake raced with Scott Powersports Honda/Suzuki and continued competing in the GNC Pro Singles class, earning a 1st place win at the Illinois State Fairgrounds.
- In 2010 Jake raced with Montgomeryville Cycle Center Suzuki and competed in the GNC Pro Singles class, earning himself 4th place finishes at both the Illinois State Fairgrounds and at the Gas City I-69 Speedway.
Jake Joins the Castrol – Triumph – Bonneville Performance Team for 2015
A couple years ago at a Savannah test track day, Jake approached Bill Gately, owner of Bonneville Performance and asked if he could ride the BP Supertracker… right there, on the spot! Bill had been watching Jake work his way up in the twins class and decided to give Jake a shot. Without any modifications or changes in suspension, Jake jumped on the BP Supertracker and impressed everyone by turning some very impressive lap times. Bill remembered that event when it came time to make some changes to the team for 2015!
“Since stepping up to the Expert Twin ranks it’s obvious the level of competition is more intense and I have worked hard to be ready to meet the challenges the division offers. I’m confident 2015 will be another step toward a championship and look forward to talking to a few teams about my future and theirs.” – Jake Shoemaker in 2014
Observing Jake over the past few years, Bill has stated on more than one occasion that:
“Jake is the hardest working AMA Pro Rider out there today.”
Bonneville Performance is very excited to have Jake on the Castrol – Triumph – Bonneville Performance AMA Pro Flat Track team for 2015.
Listen to Jake Shoemaker interviewed by John Vedas on 2 Wheels Only Radio Show!